2021 UN Food Systems Summit
The Summit, held in New York in conjunction with the UN General Assembly, aims to provide a platform for ambitious new actions, innovative solutions, and plans to transform food systems and leverage these shifts to deliver progress across all of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Raise awareness of food systems' centrality to the entire sustainable development agenda, and the urgency of transforming food systems, particularly in the wake of a global pandemic.
- Align stakeholders around a common understanding and narrative of a food system framework as a foundation for concerted action, making food and food systems a more widespread issue for advocacy and action to achieve the 2030 Agenda.
- Recognise the need for inclusivity and innovation in food systems governance and action.
- Motivate and empower stakeholders who support food systems transformation through the development of improved tools, measurement, and analysis.
- Catalyse, accelerate, and enlarge bold action for the transformation of food systems by all communities, including countries, cities, companies, civil society, citizens, and food producers.
By delivering on these objectives, the 2021 Food Systems Summit provides an opportunity for us to review our choices and be bold on the outcomes we seek throughout the Decade of Action, and put the world on a new trajectory within a generation.
The event is preceded by a pre-Summit gathering in Italy in July 2021.
For more information, please visit the Summit’s homepage.
Related reading: Policy Brief: The Impact of COVID-19 on Food Security and Nutrition.
[This description was taken from sdg.iisd.org.]