COP24 Side-Event: Climate, Peace and Security: Progress toward a Preventive Diplomacy
This side event will take stock of progress made at the international level in addressing climate-related security risks in light of the conclusions from the high level event 'Climate, Peace and Security: The Time for Action', convened by High Representative Federica Mogherini on 22 June 2018.
The session aims at raising awareness among the COP community on climate-related security risks and foster a debate on the respective roles of the climate, development and security communities in assessing, avoiding and addressing climate-related risks.
The event will take place on 13 December 2018 from 10:00-11:30.
The following developments will be in focus:
- The renewed momentum on climate-related security risks at the regional and global levels: illustrations from the EU (EEAS, EP, EUMS) and UN levels, including in the context of the UN Security Council
- From global to local: integrated climate-fragility risk assessment and action on the ground. Building a community of practice: tools for capacity building, experience from the Planetary Security initiative.
- Focus on conflict prevention: beyond what level of climate change might the security community no longer be able to reasonably guarantee international peace and security?
The session will include two additional elemets:
- FISH BOWL:To enable different participants to participate in the panel discussion a free seat will be offered to be filled trough a rotation process. The fish bowl element is based on a method to organize group discussions within large group settings while offering the benefits of small group discussions. In this way, we hope to ensure a more intimate and spontaneous conversation.
- TWITTER INPUT: Via the twitter account of @ClimateDiplo the organisers will invite statements and questions of experts and decision makers not able to attend COP24 but able to provide valuable inputs to the side event discussion. The twitter chat is about to start at the beginning of the 2nd week of the COP and will be summarized and presented by the moderator during the side event.
- Jessica Troni - UN Environment
- Dominic Porter - European External Action Service (EEAS)
- Arne Lietz - European Parliament
- Neil Wood - European Union Military Staff (EUMS)
Moderation: Dennis Tänzler - adelphi
Location: EU Pavilion, Room Vienna