Policy Analysis and Research
Policy-makers are regularly confronted with a plethora of issues that require fast and efficient decion-making. Policy briefs support this process by offering a summary of key information and knowledge, and highlighting entry-points for action. The Climate Diplomacy policy briefs address issues around climate cooperation and action, regional dynamics around climate diplomacy, climate-related impacts to economy and security, and much more. They are compiled by adelphi experts, often in cooperation with our many partners. Discover:
- Climate Change and European Foreign Policy after COP21
- Foreign Policy Implications of Climate-Fragility Risks for Japan
- A Foreign Policy Perspective On The Sustainable Development Goals
- Give Me Five! – Key Blocks to Guide a European Green Deal for EU Foreign Policy on the Geopolitics of Decarbonisation
- Climate-Fragility Risks - The Global Perspective
- How to Advance Regional Climate Risk Insurances
- Climate-Fragility Risks in Asia - The Development Nexus
- Understanding Fragile Cities – The Nexus Between Migration, Climate Change and Urban Fragility
- Climate and Fragility-Risks in Japanese Development Cooperation: Implications of Adaptation and Peacebuilding Experiences
Reports and essay series
These reports provide in-depth analyses into critical issues related to climate change, often diving into regional and sectoral case-studies that provide practical insights into how climate change unfolds in different contexts.
Climate Security Expert Network
The Climate Security Expert Network (CSEN), which comprises some 30 international experts based around the globe, is a hub for research on the linkages between climate and security, their effects and responses to them. CSEN supports the Group of Friends on Climate and Security and the Climate Security Mechanism of the UN system by synthesising scientific knowledge and expertise, advising on entry points for building resilience to climate security risks, and helping to strengthen a shared understanding of the challenges and opportunities of addressing climate-related security risks. The network is supported by a grant from the German Federal Foreign Office; the Secretariat of CSEN is run by adelphi.
Regional Risk Assessments
The risk briefs analyse the most pressing climate-security risks in a certain region, as well as entry points for responses. They are companied by a 2-page factsheet, which summarises the key facts. All the risk briefs are written by experts that either come from the specific region under analysis, or have years of experience working there.
Climate Security Policy Papers
CSEN also provides policy papers and other analysis around climate change, conflict, and foreign policy. These papers contribute to the debate and add vital context to the regional risk briefs.
- Spreading Disease, Spreading Conflict? COVID-19, Climate Change and Security Risks
- Climate Change in the UN Peacebuilding Commission and Fund
- How Can UN Organs Respond to Climate-Security Risks?
- What Can the UN Security Council Do on Climate Change and Security?
- Europe and Climate Security: Is Europe Delivering on its Rhetoric?
- Climate Change and Security in the Horn Of Africa: Can Europe Help to Reduce the Risks?
- Linking Adaptation and Peacebuilding: Lessons Learned and the Way Forward
- The Climate Change-Conflict Connection: The Current State of Knowledge