Climate change and security: a short Q&A
It poses and answers seven questions:
- Why is climate change a UN Security Council concern?
- How is climate change a threat to security?
- What are the risks of inaction?
- Why is addressing climate impacts important when a country is in the midst of a conflict?
- Is the scientific evidence on whether climate change causes conflict sufficient to justify action?
- Does the UNSC encroach on the UNFCCC’s mandate by acting on climate risks?
- What action exactly should the UNSC take?